This delicious cake is perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert! Enjoy all the flavors of fall in every bite.
- 3/4C canola oil
- 1C + 2T granulated sugar, plus more for topping
- 1 ¼t salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 egg whites
- 1T vanilla extract
- 1C + 2T all-purpose flour
- ¼C + 2T whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½t ground flax seed
- ¾t baking powder
- 1 ½t baking soda
- 2t cinnamon
- ½t ginger
- 1 ½C shredded carrots
- ¾C shredded apples (I like using Honeycrisp)
- 1 ¼C chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it.
- Lovingly throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until you don’t see any more dry flour. Use a rubber spatula, so you can thoroughly mix without overdoing it. The more you mix, the tougher your cake will become.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with a healthy sprinkling of sugar. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted into the middle, comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then pull the cake out and let rest for an additional 10 minutes.