This peppermint ice cream is sweet, minty, and studded with tons of dark chocolate chunks.
- 1C whole milk
- 3/4C granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2C heavy cream
- 2t peppermint extract
- 1/4C candy canes, smashed
- 1/2C dark chocolate, chopped
- Combine the milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan until heated through.
- Add the egg yolks to a medium-sized bowl. Now, temper the egg yolks by adding some of the heated milk to the bowl, about 1/3 of the mixture, and whisk continuously.
- Pour the milky yolks back into the saucepan and continue stirring until thickened, coating the back of the spoon. Run a finger down the spoon and if the trail holds, you’re ready! You’ve got custard bay-be!
- Add the heavy cream and custard to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the peppermint extract and smashed candy canes and continue whisking until the mixture turns pink from the candy canes.
- Saran wrap the bowl, pressing the plastic directly onto the cream. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and use as directed. Near the end of the mixing process, add the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the ice cream into a loaf pan or other large container, saran wrap it, and pop in the freezer for at least 4 hours, but I tend to let it set up overnight.