A sweet blueberry jam with lemon and floral notes for a delicious and perfectly complex spread.
- 1 pound of blueberries
- 3/4C granulated sugar
- 2t culinary-grade lavender (This one is available on Amazon)
- 1T lemon juice
- 1–2t lemon zest
- Massage the lavender into sugar, breaking up the pieces of lavender between your fingers. Work the mixture between your hands until the sugar is fragrant. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan or heavy-bottomed pot, add the blueberries and sugar mixture, mixing to combine. Let sit for about 10 minutes off the heat to start encouraging the juices from the blueberries to release.
- Over medium heat, bring your mixture up to a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally and break up some of the blueberries with the back of your spoon. If you like a chunkier jam, feel free to let your blueberries do their own thing
- Increase the heat to medium-high, stirring more frequently while the liquid begins to thicken. Continue to cook until the fruit has broken up and the liquid reduces, creating tar-like bubbles. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to this point. Don’t take your eyes off it at this point. Make sure to stir along the sides and bottom of your pan to prevent scorching.
- Add your lemon juice and lemon zest to the saucepan. Cook for another 5 minutes until the juice has evaporated and your jam is back to that thick consistency. You’ll know you are done cooking your jam when you slide your spoon down the center of the pan and you can see the bottom, with the jam being slow to fill the gap you made.
- Remove from the heat and spoon it into a jar. Store in the refrigerator. This keeps great for about 2-3 weeks.
Keywords: jam recipe, blueberry jam, easy jam recipe