Juicy, late-summer fruit topped with a fluffy cornmeal cake for the ultimate summer dessert!
For the fruit:
- 4C plums, sliced about 1/4inch thick (you’ll need about 5 small plums)
- 3/4C blackberries (about one, 6oz container. If the blackberries are large, cut them in half.)
- 2t vanilla extract
- 1T fresh orange juice
- 2T cornstarch
- 1/3 – 1/2C granulated sugar
For the cake:
- 3/4C granulated sugar
- 1T orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 1C all-purpose flour
- 3/4C cornmeal
- 2t baking powder
- 1/4C vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1C buttermilk, room temperature
For the fruit filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the vanilla extract, orange juice, and cornstarch to a large bowl. Whisk together until there are no clumps.
- Fold the plums and blackberries into the cornstarch mixture, making sure that every piece is coated. Add the sugar. Start with 1/3C and give it a taste test. If your fruit is really tart, feel free to add 3 more tablespoons of sugar (making a total of 1/2C). Toss the fruit in sugar until fully coated. Set aside.
Make the cake:
- In a large bowl, use your fingers to work the orange zest into the sugar. This will help better incorporate the orange flavor. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, and vegetable oil. Mix to combine.
- Dump your fruit, including the juices at the bottom of the bowl, into a 10-inch skillet. Top with the batter. I like to keep a couple of pieces of fruit exposed so folks know what they’re eating.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before digging in. Spoon into bowls and top with ice cream.