Sweet, with just a touch of heat, this easy homemade apricot habanero jam is my new summer fling!
- 1 pound of fresh apricots (after making three batches, this varied from 6 – 8 apricots depending on their size), kernels removed and fruit roughly diced.
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 2t ground turmeric
- 2 habaneros, deseeded, deveined, and thinly diced
- 1T fresh lemon juice
- 1 – 2t lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the turmeric and sugar.
- To a saucepan, combine the chopped apricots, diced habaneros, and sugar/turmeric. Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes so the apricots release their juices.
- Over medium heat, bring your mixture up to a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally and break up some of the apricots with either the back of your spoon or, if you like a smoother texture, a meat tenderizer or potato masher.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, stirring more frequently while the liquid begins to thicken. Continue to cook until the fruit has broken up and the liquid reduces, creating tar-like bubbles. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to this point. Don’t take your eyes off it at this point. Make sure to stir along the sides and bottom of your pan to prevent scorching.
- Add your lemon juice and lemon zest to the saucepan. Cook for another 5 minutes until the juice has evaporated and your jam is back to that thick consistency. You’ll know you are done cooking your jam when you slide your spoon down the center of the pan and you can see the bottom, with the jam being slow to fill the gap you made.
- Remove from the heat and spoon it into a jar. Store in the refrigerator. This keeps great for about 2-3 weeks.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: homemade jam, apricot jam,