Intensely fudgy, these chocolate raspberry brownies are exactly what cupid ordered for Valentine’s Day. (Even if—especially if?—your Valentine is YOU!)
- 1/2C unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4C granulated sugar
- 1/4C brown sugar
- 6oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1t instant espresso powder
- 1t vanilla extract
- 3/4t kosher salt
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/4C cocoa powder
- 105g all-purpose flour (3/4C minus 1T)
- 1/4C raspberry preserves (Bonne Maman is a classic)
- 1T of hot water, if needed
- Powdered sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prep your 8×8 pan. You can either spray the bottom, corners, and sides with nonstick spray or line the pan with parchment paper. (I have been using this 8×8 pan for a while now, and it has yet to do me wrong.)
- Place the butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the butter in 15-30 second intervals until hot and fully melted.
- Add both types of sugar to the butter and whisk to combine. Add all of the chopped chocolate and let sit for 15 seconds, then whisk to combine, letting the residual heat melt the chocolate. While having a couple pieces of chocolate still visible is OK, you want almost all of it to melt. (If your butter is too cold to melt the chocolate, set up a double broiler to gently melt the chocolate.)
- Add the espresso powder, vanilla extract, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- One at a time, add the eggs and yolk. Stir until you have a uniform glossy batter.
- Switch to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and gently mix in the cocoa powder. (If you are not gentle, it WILL go everywhere.)
- Stir in the flour, mixing until no dry bits are left. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour the batter into your pan and use your spatula to coax it into the corners.
- Plop your raspberry preserves into a separate bowl. If it seems too thick to spread, add a touch of hot water and stir until you reach a “swirlable” consistency. (I find about 1t of hot water works.)
- Dot your preserves onto the brownie batter and use a toothpick or cake tester to swirl it throughout.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes and allow to cool for a full 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with powdered sugar if desired.