Creamy and perfectly spiced, this version of The Last Smile in Sunder City’s signature cocktail is quickly becoming my cold weather go-to.
For the spiced syrup:
- 1/3C light brown sugar
- 1/3C water
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2” ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
For the cocktail:
- 2 1/2oz milk
- 1/2oz spiced syrup
- 1 1/2oz coffee liqueur (I use Mr. Black, not sponsored, just freaking delicious)
- 1/2oz bourbon
- Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Make the syrup: Grind the peppercorn, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon sticks in a mortar and pestle until everything is just cracked so they give off the most flavor.
- To a saucepan, add the brown sugar, ground spices, ginger, and water. Place over medium heat and stir occasionally for the sugar is dissolved. Continue stirring until you juuuust start to see bubbling. Take off the heat and allow the spices to steep for an additional 15 minutes. Strain out the spices and allow the mixture to cool completely before using. *This makes enough syrup for 6 cocktails*
- Build the cocktail: To a cocktail shaker add the milk, syrup, coffee liquor, and bourbon. Fill the shaker 3/4 full with ice and vigorously shake for at least 30 seconds. This will give you a beautiful foamy and light texture.
- Pour into a small coup glass and top with freshly grated nutmeg.