Easy homemade crackers that have a little kick! Enjoy solo or on your next charcuterie board.
- 2 1/2C all-purpose flour
- 1/3C rye flour
- 1t baking powder
- 1 1/2t kosher salt
- 2/3C olive oil
- 2/3C roasted red bell pepper puree ( I blend jarred roasted bell peppers from Mezzetta)
- 1/2t onion powder
- 1/2t garlic powder
- 1/4t cayenne powder
- 1/4t ground black pepper
- 1T fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, spices, and rosemary in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil and puree. Gently pull the dry ingredients into the center to make a homogenous dough.
- Knead the dough a few times and divide it into quarters to make rolling out easier.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the quarters super thin and use a 1 3/4″ cutter to cut out your crackers. If they are still looking too thick, roll out the circles a bit more. (It means crackers that aren’t completely circular, but it adds character.)
- Once all your crackers are cut out, spread them on baking sheets (I only have two, so it takes me a couple rounds). Use a fork to doc the circles and sprinkle some coarse salt on top.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the crackers are a delightful golden brown. Turn the sheet halfway through to ensure both sides are evenly crisped. Also, the thinner you make them, the faster they’ll bake, so at about 7 minutes check them. Let them cool completely on a wire rack; this will help them develop that nice snap.