If you are nostalgic for classic banana bread flavors, this loaf is for you! Browned butter, chocolate chips, and walnuts complement our sweet cake/bread hybrid.
- 7oz unsalted butter
- 3 ripe to overripe bananas
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1t vanilla extract
- 3T buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2C granulated sugar
- 1/2C brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 3/4C all-purpose flour
- 1T ground flax seed
- 1t kosher salt
- 1t baking soda
- 3/4t freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4C chopped walnuts
- 1/2C semisweet chocolate chips
Make the browned butter:
- Put the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently stir your butter. It will go from liquid to bubbling, and in about 5 minutes, you’ll begin to see small flecks of brown and it will give off a nutty aroma.
- Stir for just a moment longer, until you see a few more brown bits, and then take it off the heat. REALLY watch it, your butter can go from perfectly nutty to burnt quickly. Let the butter cool completely before proceeding. Browning your butter will cause some liquid to evaporate, so pour your new fancy butter into a measuring cup to get the required 6oz for this recipe.
Make the banana bread:
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a 9×5 loaf pan. I do a quick spray of nonstick oil then line the long side with parchment (taco-style).
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and 6oz of browned butter to the bowl and combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, both sugars, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and flax. Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently fold them together, being careful not to overmix. Stir in the chocolate chips and 1/2C walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared loaf pan and top with the extra 1/4C of walnuts. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes in the pan before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack. In my opinion, it tastes best the next morning, with a small pat of butter and coffee. This loaf keeps for up to 5 days tightly wrapped.
Keywords: banana bread, browned butter bread